Saturday 11 January 2014

Human Hanuman

Call it faith. Call it the opiate of the middle class. Call it misplaced care. Or undeserved service.

I choose to call this love. Simple.


Hanuman wrapped up in the warmth of human love.
And in a brightly colored blue striped shawl. It's cold for the gods too.

Ten degrees and dropping. I dressed my dolls in woolens during winters. Transferring my wish to care for a living creature to an imagined unnamed entity. Wait, I think I did name my dolls.

Yes, I was a child alright but where is the harm if a group of grown ups (mostly in their twilight age) decide to wrap this tiny figure up and give themselves a little credit for saving the bachelor guy from cold?

I pass this small temple several times during my morning rounds. This is where the kakus and kakimas, jethus and jethimas assemble for their evening adda and prayers. I am not going to judge them for not showing an equal amount of cocern to the poor and unprivileged. Or maybe they already do, who knows?

I am not going to resent them that one community corner they call their own. They have lived their lives well. So when they are left with empty nests, memories and weekly calls with grandkids, why can't they live a second lease of parenthood raising the naughty Hanuman?

1 comment:

  1. Didnt find it interesting enough as the others in the blog!

    ReplyDelete