Saturday 9 February 2013

Freedom Song




I had picked my hovel of straws until you came with the promise of marbled palace. Of illusions, now I know.
I had come to terms with my anonymity when you came with public display of love. People noticed me. I was in talks.
I fought myself many times before I fought your shower of allowances, I was needy. You recognized the early signs.
I knew how it would all end even before I joined your choreographed exchange of excuses. The end never changes anyways.
I am alright now. Back in my hovel making small talk with a woman I knew once upon a time. She looks the same, but only sounds different.
I remember I had seen her wearing my skin before you came and left footprints all over it. She still wears it now.
Only with an unreserved finality in the folds. She is free. She knows.
Freedom seeps in through the cracks you left unattended.

No, I will not die of a broken heart or a worn out skin shared with a half-known woman.
No one ever does.
Moreover, I now have company and conversation.
And a confidante.
An entry free with an exit. The world keeps its balance.

© Sudeshna Sanyal 2013 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment